By: Maddie Packard
Snacks play a big role in what kids eat every day. There seems to be a snack for every time of the day and any activity. Snacks aren’t a bad thing, it is normal to get hungry between meals, especially when you are physically active. What you choose for your kids to snack on does matter though.
Instead of: Doritos, Fritos, Potato chips, etc.
Try: Veggie Straws, Kale chips, sunflower or pumpkin seeds, nuts, popcorn
Recipe here: Apple Pie Popcorn
Instead of: Fruit Rollups, Fruit by the Foot, Gushers, etc.
Try: Fresh or dried fruit, a homemade fruit roll up (fruit sushi)
Recipe here: Fruit Sushi
Instead of: Candy bars, snack cakes, etc.
Try: Granola bars (not covered in chocolate) with nuts, seeds, dried fruit, etc.
Recipe here: Homemade Granola Bars
Other fun and healthy snack options:
- Ants on a log
- Log made out of celery, carrot, apple, banana, etc.
- Use peanut butter, or any other kind of nut butter
- Ants can be dried fruit like raisins, craisins, cherries, blueberries, goji berries, fresh blueberries, granola, nuts, or seeds like pomegranate, sunflower or pumpkin.
- Zucchini or sweet potato muffins
- Recipes Here: Zucchini Muffins Sweet Potato Muffins
Whether it is trying out some new recipes or simply making wise choices at the store, snacking can be fun, tasty and healthy.